PAN GALLEGO | GALICIAN BREAD | KAREN’S KITCHEN STORIES
Provided by: Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Total time: 31 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 1 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
|50 grams mature starter|
|50 grams bread flour|
|25 grams whole wheat flour|
|25 grams whole rye flour|
|90 grams lukewarm (100 degrees F) water|
|Note: you will not use all of this levain|
|425 grams bread flour|
|75 grams whole rye flour|
|425 grams water, room temperature|
|100 grams of the levain|
|10 grams salt|
- Combine the levain ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for four hours.
- Use immediately or place the levain in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours to use the next day.
- Mix the flours and 325 grams of the water. Add 50 grams more of the water and mix, cover, and set aside to rest for 45 minutes.
- Add the levain and 25 grams more water, and stir to combine. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Add the salt and 25 grams of the water to the dough and use your fingers to pinch and squeeze the salt into the dough to dissolve.
- Once the salt has dissolved, stretch and fold the dough several times. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Stretch and fold the dough again. Cover and let bulk rise for four hours.
- Shape the dough into a boule and let it sit for 15 minutes. Tighten up the loaf and place it into a towel lined banneton, seam side up, and cover with oiled plastic wrap.
- Proof the loaf at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
- Move the loaf to the refrigerator and proof for 8 to 10 more hours.
- Remove the loaf from the refrigerator.
- Let the loaf come to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 475 degrees F with a Dutch oven on the middle rack.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper, seam side down. Grab the top of the dough with your hand and pull it up as far as you can. Twist it around and form it into a knot. Let it settle back down onto the top of the dough.
- Using a sharp knife, gently cut four evenly spaced perpendicular slits into the dough to give it some room to expand.
- Lift the dough with the parchment paper into the preheated Dutch oven, Cover, and place the loaf in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the cover and finish baking for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the bread has reached an internal temperature of 205 degrees F.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Calories 109.7, FatContent 0.51, SaturatedFatContent 0.08, CarbohydrateContent 22.37, FiberContent 1.31, SugarContent 0.14, ProteinContent 3.63, SodiumContent 195.73, CholesterolContent 0